There are different views about the function content of managers. This is due to the fact that the placement and filling of the position differs considerably per company, but also depends on the level of the manager.
function of management
The most important task of a manager is to operationalize the objectives of the organization. The determination of the objectives of the organization lies primarily with the management. The further rollout, which is specified by the department managers. Important for managers is their ability to develop their leadership qualities.
The art of influencing people to do what is necessary to achieve the goals that you set, in such a way that the employees want to do it.
That makes management so difficult and shows what is the most important factor for managers. Their empathic ability. Being able to deal with and influence people. The aim of continuous improvement is the starting point for achieving sustainable results in changes in organizations. Your staff, their knowledge, experience and attitude is the critical success factor to achieve this.
Doing the right thing and doing it right the first time. That is the core of effective and efficient business. Management that is aware of these conditions and the requirements that are necessary for a specific position, individually or within a team, can focus its management on this.
The fact that logistics is an important driver for the performance and profitability of an organization is widely supported. However, Logistics does not always have the optimal focus in the Boardroom. For the logistics manager to put his field on the map. The logistics manager should all the more clearly present himself as a person who has a broad view of the organization, sees connections and thus plays a significant role in the management team.
Successful management of your employees to achieve optimal results is a prerequisite. Demonstrable results always work best. The logistics manager must then have the right qualities on personnel matters. Then it is not about your substantive knowledge of logistics, but your empathy. To be able to get employees to motivate them to achieve the organisation’s objectives, without the manager having to continuously monitor this. Ensuring a healthy improvement reflex in your organization.
In the many years that I have worked as an advisor and interim manager, my experience is that the following points are essential for successful management:
- Show genuine interest in your staff, not because you read it in a management book. Employees see through this in no time
- Give your employees not only responsibility, but also the necessary powers.
- Don’t be a micro manager
- Don’t be afraid that your employees make mistakes. That does happen. Realize that you also make mistakes. Making mistakes is essential for people to learn. “it’s not about falling, it’s about getting up again”
- Provide intensive support to employees when they are given new activities / responsibilities. Strengthen the good, correct the mistakes in a positive way. [Sustainable – Improvements method]
- Give compliments. Directly and publicly. Don’t burn people down. Their mistakes are your mistakes!
- Communicate frequently, be open and transparent. Do you make mistakes, acknowledge them. Be honest.
- Be yourself for everything. Nobody expects you to be a Superman.
- Be honest with yourself. Are you the right manager in the right place? “Anyone can hit a nail into a piece of wood, but not everyone is a carpenter.”